Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Recycled sitting bench...P1

When I was in 3rd grade I had a friend (Chandy Beebe now Olesen) who did the coolest thing.  In her garage she had some bins that were labeled with: Plastic, Paper, and Glass.  And every time anyone in her family had that type of garbage they would put it in the bins and then Charlene (mom) would take them to the recycling place.  This was my first introduction to recycling.  And I have always recycled since.  (Thanks Chandy!!)

Did you know that today is National America Recycles Day??
To honor the day, I thought I would post this bench that I just refinished!
Here's the story of the cute little thing...

I found this sitting bench at a garage sale last year.  It has a straw netted sitting part that I had removed by this point.
I decided I wanted it to go right in front our bed that I refinished back in April. More on that post HERE.
Since the color of this wood is not my type of styling preference, I was excited to do this transformation and turn it into the piece that I know it could be :)

I decided to do something risky.  I had a can of gray paint, (that I used to redo my main bathroom, which I posted yet so I'll do that soon) but I had one problem with it.  It was TO gray.  I wanted it a lighter, closer to white gray.  So I decided to mix the gray paint color with my white primer.  Then I painted the peice with two coats of the newly created paint. And this was how it ended up.
It turned out fine and I feel like the "created" paint did the trick just dandy!
Here you can see the contrast in the wood color to the gray color...
I was happy with it, but it was a solid gray color and was to perfect.  I like perfectly, imperfect pieces so I decided to give it the lightest ever whitewash (just a watered down white paint) and then give it a good sanding to give it that perfect vintage look... here is the whitewash, very small change...
And then here is some of the detailing work...


 I sprayed 2 coats of Poly on it to protect it from moisture and make it easier to dust.

Now all that I have left is to get my sewing machine out and cover the current seat with a fabric, that I haven't found yet.  This week I will be finding that fabric and should have a finished photo soon!

I also have a bigger piece that I have been working on (refinishing) to hang out in my master bedroom too.  Hopefully this weekend I will finish the painting on that piece, cause I can't wait to have it in my house!!!!

I'm so happy I could save this piece's life and find a way to make it work in my home...Here's to National America Recycle's Day!!

Loves,
Jill

No comments: