Monday, November 21, 2011

DIY Boot Socks Tutorial!

I saw this awesome idea on Pinterest (If you are on Pinterest you can follow me here...My Pinterest)
I looove boots this time of year, especially on my daughter!
I decided to take some of her too small or damaged clothes and turn them into Boot socks :)
This really is a darling idea, and so naturally I have been making them like crazy!!

The Tutorial:

First off.  She noticed the other day that her FAVORITE pair of black leggins had a hole in them.  So after much convincing I told her I was going to Recycle them and turn them into Boot socks and she will still be able to wear them :)  She wasn't so hip on the idea, but I promised a great outcome!

First:  I held up the leggins to her and visually decided how long I wanted to make the boot socks. Then I cut off the leg part of the leggins.  You'll see the ankle part is up and gets wider as it goes down, which is the thigh part.
I set the cut leggin on the not cut leggin and made the same cut. (So I would have two equal sides)
Then TA-DA! your done!! That easy.  It would be way fun to add embellishments or lace or buttons on the side or whatever your creative imagination takes you with these.  For me and this outfit I wanted a solid black, but I will most likely add some big buttons on the side later.

I still had some leftover leggins fabric left, so I decided to make a hairbow.  This again was super easy and I did it in probably 5 minutes.

I cut out different sized pedals:  I did not use a template because I didn't want perfect circles.  I just visually cut with my sewing scissors and made sure each on was a different size.
 I then placed them on top of each other and used my sewing machine to sew a few stitches right in the middle. (Oops to the color!)
Then I hot-glued a cute button onto the top. 
I felt like it still needed one more thing however, so I took a little bundle of tulle and stuck it out the side.  I cut a circle of felt to the bottom to stabilze everything and cover up the stitches etc then glued a clip to the felt. And here it is!  Super easy.
And here she is all put together and ready for school!

Here is another one I made out of a too small sweater.
These were colorful enough I didn't do anything to them, just put them on over her tights and sent her to school!

So fun!  Maybe when I stop making them for her, I'll make myself a few pair!

Loves, 
Jill

3 comments:

Desertkatz said...

What a cute idea Jill....Love the hairbow! You must have got all your craft talents from your Mom:) Darling kids...I can't believe how grown up they are! I need to take a road trip this Spring and come by to see you! Love you all:))

Desertkatz said...

Opps sorry Jill....I can't believe Desertkatz is still the name I have on goggle..Tis only I Denise in Mesquite:))))

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

Jill! Those are DARLING. I LOVE them. Such a cute mom you are.