Saturday, September 17, 2011

Baker's Cyst and Teddy


About a week in a half ago, I was washing Bensen's legs in the bath, when I felt a bump behind his knee, in his knee pit.  I made him stand up right away so I could get a better look, and sure enough I could easily see a bump protruding out of his leg.  So the next day I made an appointment with Dr. Kim Gehle (the best Pediatrician ever) and off we went to see her.  She examined it and told me he would need an MRI.  She also said that it was a tissue mass, or "lump" and we should not delay in getting a more detailed description of what exactly was going on.  Dr. Gehle and I both felt that it was something to be concerned about...but something to not be overly-concerned about.  If that is possible right??

So I schedule the MRI and Bensen and I spent today at the hospital.  Unfortunately it was a 45 minute scan where he had to hold perfectly still.  Very few adults can do that, let alone an almost 6 yr old, so we had to sedate him.  Which meant an IV (he had to have one anyway, for the contrast that they give through an IV).
 He of course hated that part, but he was so amazingly brave at the same time. Cried until the IV was placed and then he was back to looking at his toys. He can do anything as long as his Teddy is close, I'm not kidding.

 He woke up from Anesthsia calling for Teddy. His eyes were closed and his arms were reaching out and you could barely make out what he was saying except TEDDY.  Once I snuggled Teddy in tight, he went right back to deep sleep and didn't move the rest of the scan.  
Teddy of course accompanied him throughout the scan and through recovery.


To cut to the chase, we were so relieved to find out that it wasn't a cancerous lump, but a Baker's Cyst.



Definition:
A Baker's cyst is a fluid-filled cyst that causes a bulge and a feeling of tightness behind your knee. The pain can get worse when you fully flex or extend your knee or when you're active.
A Baker's cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is usually the result of a problem with your knee joint, such as arthritis or a cartilage tear. Both conditions can cause your knee to produce too much fluid, which can lead to a Baker's cyst. Though unlikely, a bulge behind your knee may be a sign of a more serious condition, such as a tumor or a popliteal artery aneurysm, rather than a fluid-filled cyst.

Treatment:  Wait and Watch.  See if it grows.  See if it causes pain. If so possibly surgery.

I can handle that.  I can wait and watch.  Surgery was really something I don't think I could possibly handle right now.  I have watched Bensen go through too much in his short almost 6 yrs. and I don't think I could handle surgery number 4 right now.  So I'm happy and words can't describe how much I love this little curly haired boy of mine...and his Teddy.
Loves,
Jill

2 comments:

amberdat said...

I am so glad he is ok! Seeing him hold his teddy was so precious! Give him hugs from us and tell him we think he was so brave! I hate hospitals!!! I'm glad you both made it out in one piece!

Bree D. said...

Jill- why didn't you tell me about this the other day!!! I am so glad that he didn't need another surgery- that sweet little thing! He was so brave, thank goodness for teddy :)