Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Run then Stretch

On Monday morning, my hubbie and I went on a run.  I used to not enjoy running, but over the last 3 years I have grown to like it a lot more.  Summer morning runs are better then chocolate!  No I'm serious!  Winter runs on the treadmill are as good as Liver and Onions (and that's when spin class starts up again).
This post I decided to share my post-run stretch routine.  Quick, easy, and soooo important for the running muscles and joints.  You always take time to stretch after your run right???

On my outdoor runs, I always have my Garmin watch or my Polar training watch (depends on if I remembered to charge my Garmin or not)  I'm obsessed with knowing how long I have been out and if I was faster then last time etc.
I learned the lesson of what wearing the wrong shoes will do to your feet, a couple months ago, and believe you me, you don't want to learn that lesson. SO wear proper running shoes.


 My stretching routine:
Quad's first. Keep your knee pointed straight down.
 Outer thigh (abductor's).  
You could squat lower then I am in this picture to feel more of a stretch. This is also a great stretch for the IT band
 Runner's Lunge (stretching into hip flexor)
 A little deeper into hip flexor
 Hamstring and Calf stretch
 Then back up to the lunge.

 Inner Thigh stretch.  
From here I go to the other side for the other inner thigh stretch, then work the reverse on the other leg.


One of my fav's. Low back stretch and spinal rotation. This feels sooo good. Stretch both sides.

Then drop it and get the back of the legs (ham's) again. This also stretches the low back.

I love to finish with chest expansion.  All day long we are bending forward to pick up something, or working on the computer etc.  Usually when we run we have a natural little hunch forward.
This stretch reminds our body that we do have posture and remember what an upright, chest open, back straight feeling, feels like.

And there it is!  Next post will most likely be fitness related as well BECAUSE tonight is my Zumba Master Class Training.  It is Saturday Night Fever based and oh man is it going to make my night :)
Loves,
Jill

No comments: