Sunday, November 4, 2012

Family Room Makeover (Part1) Fireplace removal

In my last post found here it was all about my Halloween burlap banner that I made for my fireplace mantel.  Well things have slightly changed for that fireplace since then.  I have been planning this Family Room Makeover for about 5 years now, and the time has come to get movin!


I am so excited to have started this big' ol project.  It's messy, its big and it is going to take us awhile...but it is going to be sooooo worth it.  This is just a little glimpse into what I have in store for our family room....











This is where we started.
The line is the opening we are going to cut in the wall to create a bigger space from family to living room (also where the barn doors will be)
Corner fireplace is leaving (thank goodness, it wasn't ever supposed to be there anyway. Love builders)








 Demo begins.
btw I have the best husband. Takes my crazy, wakko ideas and gets just as excited about them as I do. I love him.




Asher getting in on the action.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be to get the stone off.  It actually all came off together in a big piece that we cut up into smaller pieces.


Exposed Fireplace.



Bensen wanted to get in on the fun too.


And if he wasn't helping demo he was patiently waiting to help anyway he could.



After all the framing was taken down, the fireplace was ready to be taken out.  Cory had already turned off the gas, unscrewed the gas line from the unit, and pulled out the vents from the wall that led to the outside.  It was all pretty easy, and something we were fine doing ourselves.


With the fireplace out and moved to the garage, it was time to start on the wall.




And here it is all cleaned up and ready to live in, since its back to life for the next couple of days. Demo gets put on hold for real life.
Next Saturday we'll get to do more!  That's the life of DIY'ers.

Good thing I started an "Avoid the Holiday 5 (or 10)" Bootcamp that wakes me up early and gets me to bed early.  Otherwise my excitedness to finish this project just might keep me up at night.  I am loving this bootcamp session so far. 8 fabulous ladies all in my basement at 6:00am MWF morning.  I feel so lucky to be able to do what I do.  These 8 ladies are inspiring me more right now then I'm helping them I'm sure of it.

Loves,
Jill






2 comments:

Randy said...

I can't wait to see more!! It is going to look so great when you're done.

shamae said...

This is so exciting--I dream of joining with you and redoing my own family room some day. Can't wait to see what next week brings!